Friday, January 8, 2010

Art 101 - Back to Basics


There are lots of good reasons to homeschool your kids. Lots of them. Hundreds, maybe. But today I'm only talking about this one: passion. When you keep your kids at home, they have time to explore the things they are truly interested in, and spend less time on an arbitrary schedule that often suits the lowest common denominator.

My girls love art. They can, and often do, spend hours drawing, coloring, painting, kneading clay, and making "stuff." I loved to do that too when I was a kid, but as I got older, I spent more time doing homework and less time on my art.

At home, I am giving the girls lots of time to experiment on their own, but I also want to give them a framework to take their own projects to the next level. In this particular art lesson, we focussed on blending colors with a traditional color wheel. The purpose of a color wheel is to lay a foundation for mixing colors. Some people possess this skill innately, while others have to learn it, and a color wheel is a good starting place. Not everyone understands that to get lavender, you need one part red, two parts blue and three parts white or to get lime green you need four parts yellow, one part blue and one part white. A color wheel is a starting point for understanding how primary colors create
secondary and tertiary colors and beyond. We meant to finish our project with a lesson on pastel colors, but the day got away from us.

Next up, still life. I'd rather be painting landscapes outside, but it's below freezing this week, so indoor still life it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment